2013 Outgames Regatta
Ghent Rowing Tour
Passage through Ghent
The Monday recreational row is being hosted by four of the rowing clubs that surround the Watersportbaan where the regatta is being held. The event, called the Passage through Ghent or Doortocht Van Gent, is a unique opportunity to discover, while rowing, the rivers, canals, and monuments of the beautiful city of Ghent.
Date: 05 Aug 2013
Cost: 30 Euro per person - click to register
Meetup: Finish tower on the course
The four clubs are coming together to host the event. They are providing a total of (8) C4X+ which are wide quads with cox. Each boat consists of four rowers and one cox and they can switch out as often as they wish.The boats will wind their way through the canals in the city centre, and stop about halfway through for a drink and perhaps a quick bite to eat.
This event is normally held on the last weekend of June and follows 19 km route. This event may take a slightly abbreviated route that spans only 16 km.
The image below shows the route for the boats for the all day rowing event in June:
- Q: From what boathouse will we launch? A: Since everyone is from out of town, we thought it would be logical to meet at the finish tower. From there, everyone will be sorted and sent to the different clubs where you will launch in your boat. Once on the water, all the boats will convene at a central meeting point to start the rowing tour.
- Q: How do I register, and is there a deadline? A: RSVP on the calendar event. There is no deadline but the event can only accommodate 40 people. Once the event is full, we can't take anyone else.
- Q: When do I need to pay? A: After you RSVP, we will send you a Paypal request for payment. If you don't pay within 5 days, we will remove your name from the registered list and offer the slot to someone else.
- Q: I'm still kind of a novice sculler. Do I need to be an advanced sculler to participate? A: No, novice is good enough
- Q: What is a C4X+ boat? A: It is a wider, more stable boat that is used throughout Europe for recreational rowing and touring. See the image at the top of the page. Because of the higher freeboard, there is little chance of being swamped by river boats and barges.
- Q: How long will the row take? A: Between 2 and 3 hours.
- Q: Is there a limit to the number of people that can participate? A: Yes, the clubs can only supply (8) boats which can each accommodate 4 rowers and a cox so the maximum number of participants is 40.
- Q: Do I need to have a team or can I show up and just form a boat? A: Ideally, the host committee would prefer that you already have your teams formed. If you do have a team, and everyone has paid, send us the list of names ahead of time and we will assign a boat for you. Note: no boat assignment unless all of the people have registered and paid. If you don't have a team, we will put boats together at the event.
- Q: What will be the route through the city? A: The route will be a shorter version of what you see in the image above. If you have a boyfriend or girlfriend tagging along, we suggest they follow by bicycle.
- Q: Is this a competition event or will it be a leisurely pace? A: Definitely a leisure pace.
- Q: What kind of rowing gear should I bring? A: Normal rowing gear that you find comfortable, and if it is warm, sunglasses, hat, and sunscreen. If it looks like rain, you might want to bring a jacket.
- Q: Is there a place to change clothes before we set off on the recreational row? A: Yes, each club has dressing rooms. You can leave your street clothes at the boathouse but you should bring your money and mobile phone with you. You are most welcome to bring a camera along too!
Welcome to the GLRF website!Although we do offer some content for visitors, you need to be a member to access the most compelling interactive features of our worldwide online community and social network.
Why not join us? Registration is free and we welcome everyone from the broader rowing community.
Connect with 1603 members in 43 countries.
Your privacy is safeguarded. Your email address is never visible and you are known only by the OnlineID you select during registration.
Register Now or Sign In.
Founded: 09-May 2011